James' Settlement joint cooperation with The Society of Hospital
In Hong Kong, the population is aging with
an average life expectancy of over 80 years. Among them, many
are elderly patients above 65 years of age who are suffering
from one or more chronic diseases, and are taking multiple
medications collected from different specialist clinics on
a long-term basis. Due to this fact, these patients may have
higher chance of taking medications with similar indications,
or worse, taking duplicated medications, leading to increased
risk of side effects or drug interactions.
In fact, many patients have little knowledge of their medications.
According to previous survey, the non-compliance rate of patients
taking chronic medications ran as high as 50%. In other words,
they may either take the wrong drug regimen or omit the drug
dose all along. This condition poses great threat to the health
of patients, as the occurrence of serious drug side effects
or delayed treatment may lead to unnecessary hospital admission
of patients and more detrimentally, increasing the mortality
Through the provision of pharmaceutical care
service by experienced pharmacists and the active participation
of patients and their care-givers, the community activities
1. Maximize the therapeutic outcomes of drug
2. Improve the clinical outcomes of treatment.
3. Enhance patients' drug compliance.
4. Rectify and resolve patients’ drug-related problems.
5. Empower patients on taking care of their own health and
encourage the active participation of patients in making treatment
1. Community groups and individuals
2. Chronic patients and their family members
1. Drug talks
2. Group drug counseling session
3. Individual drug consultation
4. Home visit drug counseling session
5. Old age home outreach service
6. Publications of educational materials
7. Research & survey
- Other than attending
the public talks, participation of activities concerning drug
therapy are most welcome.
- All welfare agencies are welcome
to contact St James' Settlement for the arrangement of the
- All participants must bring along their current medications
and health documents in order to facilitate the smooth running
of the pharmacist consultation session
St James’ Settlement
1/F/. Room 105,
85 Stone Nullah Lane,
Wanchai, Hong Kong.