Founded by the Rt. Rev. Bishop R.O. Hall of the Anglican Church in 1949, St. James’ Settlement began as a club for boys and girls in a temple in Stone Nullah Lane, Wanchai. It was then developed into a six-storey building on Kennedy Road in 1963 to provide diversified services, including children and youth services, elderly services and rehabilitation services. In 1987, the headquarters was opened in Stone Nullah Lane so that the scope of services could be further extended. Our first centre outside Wanchai (named Central and Western District Elderly Community Centre) was established in 1990. Since then, different service centres have been developed and most of them are located along the north coast of Hong Kong Island, from The Belcher’s in Western District to Hing Wah Estate in Chai Wan. In recent years, in view of the society’s ever changing needs, we have opened service centres in Kowloon and the New Territories. To date, our 58 service points are in operation across Hong Kong. By the end of August 2014, we have around 1200 staff members to provide a vast range of high quality services for people of different ages and needs.
Every year, St. James’ Settlement serves more than 2,900,000 person-times, and our target beneficiaries include children, teenagers, families, the elderly and people with disability. We provide a broad spectrum of services ranging from community support to residential care.
At first, the major source of funding support came from donation and the Church. We are then supported by the social welfare subvention. Besides, part of our income resources comes from charity agencies such as The Community Chest of Hong Kong, individual and corporate donors in Hong Kong and overseas. The operation expenditure for the year 2013-2014 is $510M.